Friday, September 18, 2009

Hello There Neighbor

I know too much about my unusual somewhat crazy neighbor. He has three dogs all named after former American presidents: Regan, Madison, and Nixon. Not the best choice of presidents but that's just my opinion. The reason I know all this is because my neighbor talks to himself, you would probably consider him insane but I've come to realize, after listening to him yell and complain loudly in the middle of the night, is that he's an extremely lonely man. I remember being his neighbor ever since I moved into this house, he use to have a son and a wife; his wife left him for another man and his son left after he turned eighteen.

Last night, while I was about to go to sleep, I heard him again. He was talking to his dogs as if he was speaking to an actual responsive human being. The first thing I heard was his old beat-up truck roaring onto the drive way and then the next thing you know he was yelling and cursing. I assume that his dogs made a mess again in the house since he kicked them out screaming "Get out! You pooped all over the floor! Look at the mess you made!" But after a couple of inaudible mumbles he came out again and to call the dogs back in saying "Ohh I missed you guys. Never do that again, okay?"

Although you might think this is really creepy, especially hearing it in the middle of the night, I've been hearing this for years so it's nothing new. But what is new is my understanding and compassion for him.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the comment on my birthday post. it's always nice to get new visitors. have a great week-end and hope you drop by again.

    huggs
    jb

    ReplyDelete